July 30, 2011
All indications point to a couple of days w/o rain! Now that’s a good thing. There will be cart restrictions in place…at least on Saturday. We’ll be keeping a close eye on the course, and if at some point during the day the fairways are drying to the point where turf damage will be minimal…then obviously we’ll remove the cartpath only restriction.
The excessive amount of rain and humidity has caused a rapid acceleration in turf growth. We’ve double-cut and rolled greens the past two days (normally, something I prefer not to do when putting surfaces are sooo soft), and still have had a hard time getting green speeds above 10 ft. We’ll continue these practices right through the weekend with the hope of achieving not only good speeds…but more importantly, a good/true roll. Fairways will be mowed this morning and hopefully (weather permitting), the next several mornings as growth is at a peak rate due to all the moisture. Bunker maintenance has required an extreme amount of man-hours this week, and this morning we plan to cultivate/rake the sand to minimize compaction (“hardness”). The Hilldale Men’s Club has their two-day member/member event this weekend, so good luck to them and I hope all regular players and guests enjoy the golf course and find conditions to their liking. The picture below is from earlier in the week when the Evanston Firefighters had their annual outing.
First foursome of Evanston Firefighters at the finishing hole
July 29, 2011
10 days ago we were begging for rain, and now, 10.5″ later…please make it stop! We had 1.25″ of rain yesterday, and another .5″ last night…of course with the ground now being very saturated, the water has no place to go. Fortunately, the golf course is open for play and it sounds like we might actually have several dry days in a row coming up. We will require all golf carts to stay on paths today, and if I had to guess…probably tomorrow (7/30) also. Check back here for a weekend update, and thanks as always for playing Hilldale.
July 25, 2011
Well amazingly, we’re pretty much back to normal on all fronts at Hilldale Golf Club…only 48 hours after record (5+ inches) rainfall. There will be no cart restrictions and I think you’ll find the course to your liking…please, just be patient with us regarding green speed and bunker conditions. It’s imperitive that we “baby” the greens for several days (especially with more 90 degree temperatures on the way), and as you can see in the picture above…we’re hard at work putting the bunkers back together after the extreme amount of water and subsequent washouts. A heavy downpour plays havoc with bunker conditions…sand gets contaminated with the underlying soil and therefore causes “hard pan” type lies when playing bunker shots…long story short…bunker consistency becomes an issue. We had 5 or 6 heavy rainstorms in 2010, and as many of you know, bunker consistency was very poor last year. So please bear with us as we correct problems left over from an extreme rain event. Thanks and I’ll see you on the course!
July 23, 2011
- Outing participants on the 17th hole
After receiving 5.25″ of rain overnight, it was great to see our afternoon outing (The Mad Dog Group) playing the golf course today. Thanks for hanging in there with us this morning as to whether the course would be ready on time. But as you can see in the picture above, the outing went off as scheduled and on time.
Carts are restricted to paths and will remain so through the weekend. Sunday play should go off without a hitch…as long as heavy storms don’t hit our area again tonight. See you on the course and thanks for your patronage.
July 23, 2011
Good Morning…Unfortunately, it has been a very stormy morning! I don’t have an official rain total as of this writing…but after viewing several areas of the golf course it looks like Hoffman Estates probably received 3-4″ of rain overnight. The course is not playable right now with several cartpath areas covered with water. The flooded areas are receding at a fairly quick pace…so although the course will be closed this morning, I am hopeful that barring additional heavy rainfall…the Mad Dog Outing will go as scheduled this afternoon. I’ll post an additional update later this morning and as always, you can call the Pro Shop @ 847-310-1100 ex.27 for information. Thank you.
View from the 17th Green
July 2, 2011
Hard to believe it’s here already…other than a slight chance of rain on Sat. evening, the forecast looks great all three days…hope you can join us at Hilldale GC over the holiday weekend. I’m very pleased with the condition/health of the primary turf areas (greens, tees, and fairways), as the heart of the golf season is upon us. After double-cutting and double-rolling the greens this morning, stimpmeter speed is 10’6″ and should remain in that range (perhaps slightly quicker) right on through the 4th. The grounds staff has worked extremely hard prepping the course this week, and I can’t thank them enough!
Rosa...looking after the annual flower gardens
Hope everyone has a happy and safe holiday and look forward to seeing you out on the course…I’ll leave you with a couple more pics of Hilldale GC.
Tuning up at the Practice Green
Heading up the finishing hole